Critical Reading and Grammar
Entering Grades: 4-5
Date: July 8 – 19
Time: 9 AM – 12 PM
The following topics will be covered:
Synonyms, Antonyms, and Homonyms
- Students will be introduced to new vocabulary in reading activities that teach synonyms, antonyms, homonyms, and idioms. This unit will build a working understanding of root words, suffixes, prefixes and reading skills. Students will be asked to identify, interpret and analyze passages.
- Students will learn comprehension strategies to literary and expository texts. They will learn to identify and write about characters, setting, plot, main idea and supporting details of a story. They will learn about sequential order, fact and opinion, cause and effect, author’s purpose, inferences, comparing and contrasting story elements.
- Students will be taught the following
- Noun forms (singular, plural, regular, irregular) verbs
- Sentence types (declarative, interrogative, exclamatory)
- Sentence structures (subject and predicate)
- Subject verb agreement
- Proper punctuation
- Commas in a series
- Past and present verb tense
- Avoidance of double negatives
- Using plural possessives
- Students will be asked to practice writing skills while applying new knowledge.