The following activities will be covered:
- Students will be exposed to many different genres, from non-fiction to chapter books to poetry. They will be given time to read independently each day, these books will help them to practice and develop skills and offer the right challenge to extend their learning.
- They will also be given time to engage in conversations about their books. Children will participate in small groups and whole class literature circles where they will read the same book and have rich discussions about the story. They will also have opportunities to listen to stories during read aloud.
- Word Study will be a time for students to practice building English language skills. Students will learn decoding strategies by studying word chunks, spelling patterns and syllables.
- Dictionary skills and vocabulary building will be incorporated into word study as well, and it will help
students to increase their sight words list.
- Subject and Predicate
- Complete Sentences
- Types of Sentences
- Singular and Plural Nouns
- Proper Nouns
- Verbs (Present Tense)
- Verbs (Present, Past, Future Tense)
- Compound Sentences
- Quotation Marks
- Subject/Verb Agreement
- Commas in Dates/Places/Series
- Irregular Verbs
- Possessive Nouns
- Possessive Pronouns
- Choosing Between Adjectives/Adverbs
- Students will write short memoir and illustrate short stories for their reading buddies, they will study aspects
of grammar including basic parts of speech and conventions of syntax and punctuation-as part of the writing
process, rather than as a stand -alone subject.