2020 MATHCOUNTS Chapter Prep Classes
Mrs. Nal is a nationally well known mathematics teacher focused on contest math. As a math coach, Mrs. Nal taught State and National MATHCOUNTS participants, USA(J)MO qualifiers, MOSP attendees, USAJMO winners/honorable mentions. She was the coach of the TX MATHCOUNTS Team that placed 1st at Nationals in three consecutive years, 2018, 2017 and 2016, 3rd in 2011 and 7th in 2015. In 2018 and 2017, 2 of her students were the MATHCOUNTS NATIONALS Champion and Runner-Up. In 2016, all her 4 students made top 12 in the nation.
Each year, 70-100% of the top finishers at Houston MATHCOUNTS chapter are Momentum Learning students. In 2019, 9 out of the top 10 students at Texas MATHCOUNTS State are Momentum Learning Students.
Mrs. Nal is currently coaching the Quail Valley GT Academy team who won 2015-2019 Texas State MATHCOUNTS. She is a two time recipient of the MAA’s Edyth May Sliffe Award for Excellence in Teaching and the Raytheon MathMovesU Heroes Award.
Momentum Learning is offering an intensive MATHCOUNTS Chapter training with six sessions.
The practice session will cover efficient tricks, shortcuts, and strategies to solve MATHCOUNTS problems as well as test-taking tactics. These sessions will help students in both MATHCOUNTS Chapter and State competitions.
Recorded videos will be available if you miss a class.
MATHCOUNTS Chapter Prep Session
Session 1: December 3: Algebra (Mrs. Nal)
Session 2: December 10 – Algebra (Mrs. Nal)
Session 3: December 17 – Geometry (Mr. Steve)
No classes on December 24 and December 31. A practice test (Sprint and Target) with solutions will be provided during the two week break (December 17-January 7).
Session 4: January 7 – Geometry – Circles and 3D Figures (Mr. Steve)
Session 5: January 14 – Counting and Probability (Mrs. Nal)
Session 6: January 21 – Counting and Probability (Mrs. Nal)
The most prestigious middle school math competition
A national program that provides students in grades 6-8 the opportunity to compete in live, in-person contests against and alongside their peers.
The Competition Series in a Nutshell
The Competition Series has 4 levels of competition—school, chapter, state and national. Each level of competition is comprised of 4 rounds—Sprint, Target, Team and Countdown Round. Altogether the rounds are designed to take about 3 hours to complete.
Sprint Round: focuses on speed and accuracy. Students have 40 minutes to complete 30 math problems without a calculator.
Target Round: focuses on problem-solving and mathematical reasoning. Students receive 4 pairs of problems and have 6 minutes to complete each pair, assuming the use of a calculator.
Team Round: focuses on problem-solving and collaboration. Students have 20 minutes to complete 10 math problems, assuming the use of a calculator. Only the 4 students on a school’s team can take this round officially.
Countdown Round: focuses on speed and accuracy. Students have a maximum of 45 seconds per problem without a calculator. This round is optional at the school, chapter and state level.
What to do
- New user registration or returning use logging in.
- Add classes. After adding classes, select “GO TO NEXT STEP” on the bottom right.
- Check out and payment selection:
- If you pay with a credit card or paypal (email@example.com), you will be charged 3.5% processing fee. After you pay, a receipt will be emailed to you automatically.
- If you pay online with Chase Quickpay, Zelle, or plan to mail us a check, follow the instructions below:
- Click “Skip this step” on the bottom left and an invoice will be emailed to you automatically.
- Manual Pay – No Additional Charge
- Chase Quickpay or Zelle* (firstname.lastname@example.org) or
- Mail us a check – payable to “Momentum learning Academy”, mail to 2442 Settlers Way Blvd, Sugar Land, TX 77479
- A receipt will be sent out after we receive your payment (it may take 1-2 business days to process manual payments)
* Zelle – Any bank that is a part of Zelle (Bank of America, BBVA Compass, Capitol One, Citi, Comerica Bank, Morgan Stanley, PNC, SunTrust, TD Bank, Wells Fargo, etc.).
- $20 discount if paid by November 30th, 2019.
- Annual registration fee $40 required (2019 Fall – 2020 Summer).